The history of the Pracze Campus

Get to know us

The history of the Pracze Campus

The history of the Pracze Campus dates back to the late 19th century, when a decision was made to build a modern care facility for the poor and people suffering from incurable illnesses. The location was chosen deliberately: the extensive green surroundings provided access to fresh air, offered ample space for future expansion, and supported the creation of a place combining care, medical treatment, work, and recreation.

The first development plan was drawn up in 1896 by Richard Plüddemann and Karl Klimm. Construction of the complex, designed as an almost self-sufficient institution with its own service and agricultural facilities, was completed in 1902.

Over the following decades, the campus served a variety of purposes. After the First World War, some of the buildings were adapted for the treatment of tuberculosis patients, while in the 1940s the entire complex functioned as a military hospital. . After the war, the campus housed various schools and technical colleges, and during the 1963 smallpox epidemic in Wrocław, it served as an isolation facility.

Today, the Pracze Campus is home to the Łukasiewicz – PORT research institute. In a place that has been associated with healthcare, education, and the advancement of knowledge for more than a century, new scientific solutions and technologies are now being developed.

This will close in 0 seconds